Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Movies I Like

Probably my number one favorite is "Scrooged" with Bill Murray. It's funny and sweet. I don't know what my scoop is with Bill Murray. I don't think he's a hottie. For whatever reason, most movies I pick from Netflix have him in them - and I often don't realize that until the movie gets here. The Evil Twin thought I was trying to foist some sort of Bill Murray brainwashing on him.

When my family moved to Kansas from Georgia, we got cable TV. Wow. Including HBO. Us kids didn't know what to make of this all movies all the time thing. One of the first Christmas seasons we lived there, HBO was running "Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas" and I think I watched it every time they ran it. I've thought about it off and on over the years - and I'm now on a quest to find and own a copy of my own.

No one would be even remotely human if they didn't list "Charlie Brown's Christmas". Watching it as an adult is really not the same. I don't feel the same heart full of joy as when I was a kid, but it's fun to watch my kids enjoy it.

And the list wouldn't be complete without "The Grinch". And I'm not talking about that POS with Jim Carrey. Whoever thought they could improve upon the original must have been on acid.

Whenever we flip around the channels, if we see "A Christmas Story", we at least have to stop and watch part of it. It's just too cute to pass up.

There are some other movies I enjoy, but don't really lump them as strictly Christmas, like Bad Santa - very funny movie, set at Christmas time, but not really a heartwarming tale of Christmas Spirit (unless the spirits are in the booze scenes). "Elf" is also a cute movie, but if it weren't for Will Farrell, I'd have to give that one a pass. National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation" is a classic, for sure, but it seems to be less about Christmas than the foibles of the Griswold family - who do some very funny shit!

Sad to say, but I don't think I've seen "It's a Wonderful Life" all the way through. Or any of the "older" Christmas tales. Not sure why... The planets just haven't aligned in such a way that I can catch any of those on TV or whatever. Maybe someday, I'll buckle down and make a long list of Christmas movies I haven't seen and put them on our Netflix list!

On the agenda for this evening, courtesy of Netflix, is "Eight Crazy Nights" which was on The Film Geek's favorites list. (he's over there to your right - check him out!).

8 comments:

  1. Scrooged, LOL. I love the scene where they are trying to put little antlers on mice and Bill Murray says, "Have you tried staples." Hee Hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, right there with you - the "Have you tried staples?" line is a standard in our house, whenever anything is broken or resists fixing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas is awesome....I wish I had remembered that when I made my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emmett Otter's....is the best ever!! I also watched it every time they showed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watch Scrooged every chance that I get to see it!

    I have never watched It's a Wonderful Life either. I can just feel myself hating it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I't a Wonderful Life makes me feel violent. I'm not sure why....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our "Christmas Movie" list actually begins at Thanksgiving.

    We watch Dutch, Home for the Holidays, Christmas Vacation, Trains Planes and Automobiles...

    I LOVE Bad Santa; my husband hates it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WEll, I actually like a love story that starts at Christmas...Falling In Love with Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete