Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Awwwwkward....

On Sunday evening, I thought Buddy was in bed already, but he was downstairs talking to the Evil Twin a bit. It was time for me to do my injection - I try to get it as close to just after 9:30 pm as possible every day.

I had to do the back of my right arm, since I have to rotate my injection sites. I was halfway thru the injection and here comes Buddy bounding into the den to kiss me goodnight.

I have spent the last 10 years keeping my disease a secret to my children.

Since I had been caught, I knew I needed to explain right away (lest he go to school and tell someone his mom was shooting up! LOL). I gave a brief description and let him go to bed.

Monday evening, he had a molar fall out and I needed to run to the Mart of Wal anyway, so I invited him to come along with me and he could pick a prize. (The tooth fairy doesn't really visit the bigger kids, ya know?).

I was happy when he agreed to my plan. It gave me an opportunity to further discuss Multiple Sclerosis and what it meant for me.

It is also widely agreed by neurologists that MS is not hereditary, so I assured him that he did not have to worry about getting it. It's not contagious either, it's just one of those things.

I let him know that as long as I stay on my medication, I should remain stable. I let him know that I'm often tired because of my disease. So, if I had very little energy, that was probably why.

He seemed to take it all in and take it well.

I certainly don't spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about it or worrying about it and I don't want my children to, either. It doesn't have me, it never will.

17 comments:

  1. You fully Rule ! I got a little teary eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for not letting it preoccupy you. I hope he understands and doesn't let it worry him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you could explain it all to him and give him a chance to ask questions. Once they hit a certain age it harder to hide stuff like this and then they might worry because you're not talking about it. Heck, you're lucky he could have staged an intervention thinking you were on crack or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad he took it in stride, just like his kickass Mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all handled it well. We actually told my son about it about a year ago. So few people know, and I knew he would know sometime, and figured when he was young enough that he could just think of it as a part of me that was always there and not a big deal would be the way to do it. I signed up for him to receive the children's newsletter from NMSS, but he hasn't had much interest. He knows I take medicine, but he doesn't know it's a shot - I think that would be hard for him to think of someone having to take a shot every day. He does know I get medicine delivered in a big box every so often.

    It will never have me, either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you handled it amazingly well, as I knew you would.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Probably not the way you had planned to have the discussion, but a great opportunity that you certainly made the most of!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good...no great mama you are....sensitive and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you really handled it gracefully. I am sure Buddy appreciates your candor. You are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Post! Kudos to you for taking the time and having the courage to meet the explanation to the kids head on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are an inspiration to all of us ETW. You are a great person and a great mom, never forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rock on, studly lady.

    (that's a compliment.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure it is for the best that it came out, albeit a bit spontaneously. My ex has MS. I wish you well ETW. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW...I didn't know that. You are awesome. If I can ask, is what you have the same as what was portrayed in West Wing for Pres Bartlett ? Obviously its HWood so I hesitate to ask but...

    God Bless You and Your family !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Most Dear and Glamorous Hausfrau:

    As you know, I am rebuilding a ruin and listen to A LOT of NPR. There have been many studies that show that hookworm, of all thing, drastically helps to calm down the autoimmune system which, as you know, is in overdrive with MS patients. Check out the first link to get an idea. Then check out the second link.

    Massive Cuddles,
    XuXu
    www.frenchshelter.blogspot.com

    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090304091818.htm

    http://autoimmunetherapies.com/candidate_diseases_for_helminthic_therapy_or_worm_therapy/multiple-sclerosis_helminthic_therapy.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done...since he knows, it is good to properly educate him...well done on doing just that!

    ReplyDelete