Friday, October 3, 2008

About My AprilMoms

I've already told you about my friend J, who is looking after Nana M. J and I met years ago on an email loop that was started for moms expecting babies in April of '98. Most of you already know that Buddy was born prematurely in January of 98, but I stayed on because we had all become such an amazing support system to one another.

I've met a few of the other moms (3 out of the 30 - There are 31 of us on the loop, but it would be silly to count myself), but I haven't met J. I also haven't met "K". "K" lives in Washington state with her husband, two boys and daughter. We were "pregnancy buddies" with our girls. Her daughter was born about 4 days after Sissy.

She got pregnant after that. The baby, a boy, was diagnosed with hypoplastic left heart syndrome, which I honestly don't know a whole lot about, but it's a heart defect and they knew from the offset that baby Seth would need a series of heart surgeries. Three, in fact.

His first surgery was performed when he was only a few days old. After his recovery, he went home and did his baby thing, while they waited until his 2nd surgery was scheduled.

That one was done in the second week of September. It was supposed to be the easiest of the three procedures, but he has suffered many setbacks.

There was an incident (seizure, perhaps?) two weeks ago. Shortly after that, the doctors started noticing signs of what appeared to be neurological damage. After many test, it was determined that he suffered some neurological damage from lack of oxygen. Further testing determined that the neurological damage was "moderate to severe."

Now, with the brain, so much is unknown still. It's one of the few medical specialties where doctors are still working to know more. So, "moderate to severe" neurological damage could mean anything.

It would have to be one of those "wait and see" type things. Wait 'til he gets older and then it could be better determined.

Unfortunately, any recovery at this point is not anticipated. Along with the medical staff, Seth's parents have made the heart wrenching decision to decline any extraordinary invasive procedures, to keep him as comfortable as possible and put matters in God's hands (as this family has done from the beginning - they have been amazing in their faith).

I know it sounds corny, but I honestly do believe in the power of prayer (look at Buddy! Miracles happen!). If you could just think some good thoughts about 6 month old baby Seth today, I'd appreciate it.


  1. My thoughts and prayers certainly go out to the baby and his family.
    May God Bless.

  2. Done and Done... I'm sure you will have the blogging prayer network working full force on this one :)

  3. Consider it done. Miracles can happen, and the power of prayer is a wonderful thing.

  4. I'm glad you shared that story - K and her family will be in my prayers!
    When Shark was born, he was really big and had to be rotated with forceps and a vacuum extractor used to get him out. His collarbones were broken and he had a huge hematoma on his head. Later, we were told he may never walk or talk - 2 different doctors sugested to us to put him in a home, have another baby and get on with our lives. Well, you've probably figured out I'm pretty stubborn and said over my dead body. He had intensive OT, PT, sensory, and speech therapy 6 days a week for 7 years. He swam on swim team, plays football, rides a bike EVERYWHERE, has his own little cooking business, lifts weights - all those normal motor things.
    Tell K there is hope. Bless her heart.

  5. As you did for me, so I will do for you.

    Glad to, of course.

  6. Aww, I'm so sorry to hear of this. Yes most definately I will pray for baby Seth!

  7. So tragic and heartbreaking with little ones. I will be thinking about the little guy too!

  8. I will be happy to pray for him and his family. It is so nice of you to post about it.

  9. When you talk to K, please send her my best and let her know that doctors told my mother I was retarded as an infant (that's the word they used in those days). She took me home and treated me all the same. When I started talking early (and a lot) she knew they were wrong.

    Among the hospital horrors we had to face with SB, we were told she would die three different times and that she had cerebral palsy. None of those were correct.

    I also have a cousin with a baby that has progeria. She also has a bunch of other problems that go along with that. It's pretty severe. They were told she would never walk or talk. She does both. She also has the best laugh and smile I've ever heard or seen.

    Prayer, I believe, was a factor in changing the possibilities for all three. Consider mine sent.

  10. Prayers headed her way, for sure.