Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Do You Like Customer Service? I do.

For Lent, I have decided to re-read “The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren. I read it a few years ago and enjoyed it. Part of the program is reading one entry per day for 40 days. For a person like me, who gobbles a book down in a day or two, that’s kind of setting a high expectation. You’re supposed to contemplate that day’s entry. The only thing I would contemplate was what the next chapter had for me.

Patience is not my strong suit. So, I thought if, perhaps, I did the journal that goes along with it, I would be forced to slow down and maybe get more out of it.

I went to Books-A-Million, thinking that surely they would have a copy. I looked and looked and looked. Then, I looked and looked and looked for a sales associate on the floor. Finally, I went to the cashier up front and asked her. She looked it up on the computer and said that it said there was one copy and it was in the Christian Gift Section, so I went back there and looked some more. Then, I left.

On my way home, I stopped at a little Bible Book Store that is probably less than half a mile from my house. They didn’t have it either, but this gentleman said they could have a copy there for me tomorrow, which is when I need it anyway.

After that, Sissy and I went to Kroger’s and picked up $45 worth of nothing. Crappity. I still haven’t decided what my Lent sacrifice will be. I’d like it to be wine, but I just don’t think I can give that up for 40 days. Hell, I don’t think I can give it up for one day. It keeps me moderately sane.

My first goal for Lent is to make it to the 8:15 am Mass tomorrow morning for Ash Wednesday. After that, we’ll see how it goes. Wish me luck.

2 comments: