Thursday, October 4, 2007

Super Special Meatball Night

When it comes to making spaghetti, I can't make it for the Evil Twin if it doesn't have my special homemade meatballs along with it. The recipe is not hard, but it is time consuming, and I often double or triple it so I can have plenty on hand in the freezer for future spaghetti meals. So, this afternoon, I started on my meatballs.

It was difficult this time because I cut a huge gash in my right thumb this morning using the apple slicer to put apples into the ETs lunch. Good times. So, I have this lovely boo-boo, complete with Scooby-Doo bandage and my left thumb was previously burned on the side of a frying pan while I was trying to flip an omelet. Luckily, left thumb is pretty well healed up.

Right thumb is worse for the wear. First, I mixed the ingredients with a large (very large) forkish utensil, then I found a neat scooper spoon, so I was able to scoop mixture with my right hand, transfer to my left, then roll into a ball, all while keeping my right thumb out of the action.

After all, no one wants a meatball with a Scooby-Doo bandage in the middle of it, right?

I did 2 batches of meatballs and then started the spaghetti noodles and sauce. Garlic bread entered the oven after the noodles were mostly finished and voila! A yummy sketti dinner! Buddy even ate two meatballs, whereas previously, he only wanted butter and parmesan! So, score one for Buddy.

Sissy loves anything with tomato sauce on it, and she loves garlic bread, so she did a really good job on dinner. I did have to do a lot of cleaning to her, her hands and her high chair though after the meal! What a mess.

Without futher ado, super special meatball recipe follows:
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 egg
1/4 c. minced onions
1/4 c. parmesan cheese (I use the grated kind for this, since it mixes easier)
2 cloves minced garlic
4 tsp. parsley
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
Combine and form into balls. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Easy Peasy.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh...baked?! That IS easy. I didn't know you could make them that way. I will try that soon. Do you think they'd be as good with ground turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can answer kenju because I was just going to say how much I missed meatballs since the lo cholesterol lo fat diet thing started....I made them with turkey...just not the same. Sorry. I also bought Italian turkey sausage to add in the second time I made them...helped a tad. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those above: Mix lean ground beef with the turkey: 50/50. They aren't as wonderful as the MB recipe here, but they are pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We eat spagetti once a week. We buy our meatballs (lazy) but I make my own sauce (gallons at a time) and then freeze it in single family servings.

    At least once a month I throw in some hot italian sausage. Mmmmmm good!

    I will give your recipe a shot, it sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete