Friday, October 7, 2011

Reading is FUNdamental

Both of our children have been read to since they were tiny babies. We practiced ABCs with them both early on as well.

I am not the best parent in the world. I plopped both of them in front of the TV when they were small. However, I DID try to find the most educational shows. If I couldn't find anything educational at the time, I didn't feel like Spongebob would send them to therapy later on. I'm not a censor and the way I see it is: It's okay to mix in some fun with some learning. It can't always be reading, math, science, etc. Children also need to sharpen their sense of humor.

That will get them a lot further in life on a social level than memorizing the entire string of Pi.

As a child, I was Contessa Nerdleroy, but I also had parents who let me stay up late on Saturdays and watch Saturday Night Live (in the early 70s, when it was actually good). And, my mom never went thru a grocery check out line without buying me the newest issue of MAD magazine. ("Only 50 cents!"). Heh.

It's really no surprise to us that both children have been accomplished readers early. But Sissy, she really blows us away.

Naturally, the second child gets the shaft when it comes to attention, so I've done the bare minimum to try to keep her at or above her age level in learning and developmental behaviors.

She is 5. She can read things that she has A) Never seen before. B) Never been read to her by an adult and C). Mastered words that she has never been coached on by us or her teachers.

I'm not trying to be braggy, but it does make my heart feel good when my kids do well with whatever happens to catch their interest. That's what it's all about: Do what you love and love what you do.

If you have an extra moment and are so inclined to check it out, our own Jeff Kay from the West Virginia Surf Report offered me an opportunity to guest post on his site this week (today, in fact), since he is on vacation. I was nervous as hell, but I managed to plop out something resembling a post (nothing WVSR worthy, but I tried).

I'm so glad it's Friday, hooligans. Aren't you? I hope y'all have a wonderful weekend and I'll see ya soon!

Love,

5 comments:

  1. Good for Sissy! I always read above me age level too. Didn't hurt me any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading is something I take for granted and then I run across someone who can't read (it's happened) and it totally blows my mind how small the world is for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read all the time, but I also make time for fun and entertainment of a silly nature. We need that to be well-rounded. Good for you for realizing that with your kids.

    And root-beer suckers? I'd love those!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's totally ok to be braggy, it's your blog, that's what we bloggy moms do! My boy is a reading FREAK and I love it. Tell 'em to keep up the great work and brag away mama...you deserve to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's perfectly acceptable to brag on your kiddos every now and again. Especially for something as cool as reading.

    Way to go, Sissy!

    ReplyDelete