Wednesday, October 12, 2011

2 Day Vacation of Sorts

The kids were out of school for Columbus Day on Monday and then, they were also off Tuesday for.... I don't know. Teacher planning day? I'm really not sure. I just go with what the calendar says.

I'm a flaky mom, at best. I do try, but I'm so tired all the time. Often, things will get put on the bottom o' the list.

I have a love/hate relationship with school. I like it because I can get things accomplished during the day. I hate it because I have to get up early and get the small fry ready for school. Buddy does most of his own stuff, except I do get him cereal in the morning because it's faster if I do it. Sissy is much more labor intensive and mostly not very cooperative. That's when I start to lose my mind.

Luckily, I can get her ready in time and myself semi-ready in time to make it there before the tardy bell. (All my life, I have hated being late for things...it hasn't changed since I've gotten older).

Speaking of being older, last night I was sitting in the lobby area waiting for Sissy to complete her dance class. I started to chat with the mom next to me and I asked what her daughter's name was. She told me and then followed up with, "It's from the XXXX song. My mom named her." I said, "Oh, yes, I am a child of the 70s. I love that song. I was born in 1968."

And then....she said it: "So was my mom!" Seriously?

Suddenly, I felt much older than my (very few) 43 years. PLUS, her daughter is a year older than mine. OUCH.

Despite the age difference, we had a lovely conversation and even exchanged numbers, with the hopes we could get the girls together for a playdate. Neither of us live in neighborhoods where small children are common, so it makes sense to set up a weekend day where they can play - either indoors or out.

It was nice having a few days "off" my regular routine, but I am exceedingly tired today. And, I'll be thrown off my schedule for a while. But, it's one day closer to the weekend. Yay!

I hope all you hooligans have a lovely Wednesday and I'll C U 2morrow! (hee hee).

Love,

5 comments:

  1. School was weird... I mean without the suffering of getting up and going to school I would never have appreciated the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if I have the math right, there's a 43 year old woman out there with a 6 year old granddaughter? Talk about your over achievers!

    I'm pushing 53 and still a month short of being a grandpappy (but maybe I'm a bit slow . . .)

    And that paternal nose deal - I have a shot of my two boys sitting with my brothers two daughters - all with the same nose. And now it's getting passed along . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of girlfriends who are my age and have school-aged grandchildren. Tha'ts a while different life than mine, right there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy school for the free time. But yeah, I'm not a fan of some things. Like projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had that gift of small talk that so many others seem to have, the ability to make a friend during some random moment. For me to make a friend it is a major accomplishment. There are times that I like my time to myself but there are certainly times that being an introvert is a bummer.

    ReplyDelete