Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's Fireplace Season!

We woke up on Wednesday morning (Veteran's Day) and it was a might nipply around here. The Evil Twin had the day off, and Buddy had the day off school, so we were just easing into the day as we like to do when there are no early morning deadlines.

The Evil Twin decided we should (I mean, HE should) make our first fire of the season. I thought that sounded good, since I was all bundled up in my comfy pants, slippers and robe and still shivering.

I like to be warm, but I do not like an astronomical gas bill. A fire sounded nice.

So, he got to work and before too long, we had a cracklin' fire to admire while we lazed about and had coffee and farted into the couch cushions. (Hey, we've been eating a lot of chili and pizza around here, sorry!)



Even though the Evil Twin is a Veteran (Air Force!), he didn't have a very restful day. He was out raking, vacuuming and mulching all the leaves on our property. That's a shit ton of leaves right there. He worked at it for several hours.

We decided that since we had not done "Saturday Night Special" - where we will go pick up fast food for dinner - we would do it on Wednesday instead.

After taking pictures of the fire, I left my camera on the coffee table and didn't think to stick it back into my purse.

While I was picking up our food from the McDonald's Drive Thru, I saw a young boy. He was probably 8 - 10 or so and he had a remarkable mullet. It was halfway down his back and wavy, but cut short in the front. Like Joe Dirt says, "Business in the front, party in the back!".

I scrambled desperately for my cell phone, but he had already hopped into his Maw-maw's SUV and so my opportunity was gone.

I will never leave home without my camera again!

16 comments:

  1. Hooray for fires - and magnificent mullets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say that at least twice a week.
    "Don't leave home without it" should be our motto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love a nice fire like that.

    Bummer about the missed mullet opportunity. A good mullet is a laugh waiting to happen.

    I joke with my kids that I might start a 'skullet'. If any more hair falls off the top, I may be forced to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fires! But I can't stand the mess, or the ash, or anything associated with fireplace mess.

    So I enjoy fires at other people's houses and stick to my heating pad on the couch for winter warmth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice fire...unfortunately, we have to wait until at least January for our Once a Year Fire! :( Don't forget the camera next time!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great fire! They're so cozy. Do you let the kids roast marshmallows in it?

    And I'm very sorry to hear you didn't get a picture of the mullet. I love me some mullets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had a fireplace, it looks so comfy cozy! Honestly there is nothing better on a cool, crisp Autum day then a bowl of chili and a fire!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing I miss about my 1st house is the fireplace... Lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw a guy in town the other day with a similar mullet. A very nice Kentucky Waterfall. I couldn't get a photo either though. Bummer. Dude clearly spent a lot of time on his hair and probably would have loved for me to share it with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the fire. Rats! On the missed Mullet. I love a good mullet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS - please do me a favor & use the word "nipply" as often as humanly possible...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss having a fireplace! That will be a must when we finally buy a house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the mullet isn't making a comeback....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dammit! I hate when a mullet is missed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We don't have a fireplace but we do have 3 pot belly propane stoves that I love. I saw a woman with a platinum mullet....from the front it just looked Like normal hair....then she turned around. YIKES.

    ReplyDelete