Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Weekend Wild Ride

Buddy's birthday was Saturday. He had chosen Quaker Steak n Lube as his birthday meal destination.

He decided on the Steak and loaded fries, as opposed to the 6lb. Burger challenge. My rail thin child cleaned his plate (as usual).

As soon as we walked in, I let everyone know it was his birthday. The Evil Twin questioned my sanity...I even showed my newest tattoo (with the kids' birthdays and initials - I mean, who would fake a permanent mark like that?) I told the Evil Twin, "If it's your birthday, at many restaurants, you get something special FOR FREE." It was worth the effort for me.

Buddy was presented with a warm hot fudge covered brownie with ice cream at the end of the meal. He said it was amazing, but couldn't finish it (??? WTF That kid has a hollow leg), so he shared it with Sissy.

Everyone enjoyed the food. ETW even had a ginormous and tasty margarita! Yum!

On Sunday, we woke up and the Evil Twin was in a foul mood (not surprising, that's his normal MO for any day). He decided around noonish it was shower time. I heard the water come on, then I heard the water go off and also heard an anguished scream from the bathroom.

I thought maybe he slipped, so I went back to check on him and saw him limping across the hall to our bedroom. He was holding his back on the right side and could not stand upright. I was able to coerce him to flop up onto the bed where I could dress him and then called 911.

They took him to the ER where the docs suspected a kidney stone, but couldn't find anything other than a mass on the right kidney. They weren't sure if it was solid or fluid filled, but did say it wasn't "suspicious" looking.

I spent hours on the phone with the ER, and his family. I know that most hospitals don't allow anyone under 14 further than the lobby, so I just waited to hear from him.

They had given him some pain relief med in his IV and sent him out the door several hours later with 4 prescriptions. He feels somewhat better - still a bit sore, but the ER doctor told him to stay home for at least 3 days. He'll need to see our regular doc for an ultrasound of the kidney and then it will be determined if it needs to be drained, biopsied or surgically removed.

I already have plans for every day this week, so it should be interesting, to say the least.

I have a metric boatload of work for just today, so I'm going to blow this popsicle stand.

Hope all my hooligans have a great Tuesday!



  1. Hope the ET is feeling better today or at least hopped up on pain meds. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's something easy to fix.

  2. Wow. This doesn't sound fun at all. Hope your guy learns it was just too much Quaker Steak, and not enough Lube.

  3. I've heard kidney stones are almost the worst pain possible. :( No fun for anyone!