Monday, October 25, 2010

It's Time for the Yearly Creeping Crud

It never fails. And, it usually pops up at some point in October, sometimes as late as November and on some years, it can rear its' ugly head again in the Spring.

That's right - the head cold/upper respiratory infection. I can't remember one year in the past, oh, at least 15, that I haven't picked this up.

I am a chronic hand washer. I avoid touching public restroom doors, floors, basically touching anything after I've washed my hands. The only thing I can think of is dirty shopping cart handles. Perhaps I should start carrying around Clorox wipes...

But, at what point do I become the crazy germ-o-phobe lady? Honestly, I don't even care. If it helps me not get the creeping crud every year, it'd be worth it.

The Evil Twin says that I have been sick for 6 months now. Not true - he likes to embellish things. I had the hysterectomy on Sept. 3 and was told no heavy lifting, etc. for 6 weeks, but I felt fine. I just couldn't do most of my housekeeping chores due to the lifting. I did the best I could and sometimes, even over-did it, making the healing process even longer and more difficult. But, I felt normal overall.

I went to see Dr. Hill last week for my 6 week post hysterectomy check where he proclaimed me all healed up, etc. (but to keep taking it easy on the marital congress bit, because I'd had some "issues" afterwards). Two days after I saw him, the dreaded head cold set in. Ok, now I really don't feel good.

I didn't ask for this cold, but the Evil Twin acts as if I am chronically sick and even asked me "When will you not be sick anymore?" Gee, I wish I knew. I use the Neti Pot (thanks, Blonde Goddess!) and have been drinking the nasty Target brand of EmergenC (actually, I'm sure even the name brand tastes horrible). A friend recommended Zicam, so I'm going to give that a go, too.

At least my weekend did offer one bright spot. Bella is using the people potty with no training devices on it anymore. Anyone in the family can use that toilet now, whether they have 2 legs or 4.

I even caught her in the act one evening:



Her dismount here was a little sloppy. Usually, she does better. And, sorry for the shaky camera work, I had to hold the Flip camera in one hand and give out the treats with the other. You can hear her purring so loud - she loves praise and treats. Especially the treats. :-)

Happy Monday, hooligans!
Love,

6 comments:

  1. The pee noise cracks me up! That's amazing...wish I could get Lola to do that.

    I read recently that all this anti-bacterial stuff we're all invested in these days can actually do more harm than good, in getting rid of the "good" bacteria. I dunno about that, but...I'm right there with ya right now in the creeping crud department. And this damn rain isn't helping anything! Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping the creeping crud passes you by quickly.

    I'm betting the "Bella uses the potty" gets you a whole lot of sicko hits for Bella from the Twilight movies ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am anti-antibacterial. Unless an antibacterial product kills 100% of the bacteria it contacts, it's doing more harm than good.

    Why? Because of the survivors. Pretty soon, all that's left is the survivors. What are you going to kill THEM with, something stronger? What if something stronger still only kills 99.9%? That 0.1% is some tough stuff. And they breed like rabbits.

    I do wash up after using the restroom, before I do food prep (and after if I'm handling meat), but I avoid the antibacterial stuff. None of that stuff will ever prevent a cold. Those are viral and not susceptible to normal antibacterial cleaners.

    Besides, why do we have an immune system? Let it work.

    ps - I get a cold every 18 - 24 months and it rarely, if ever, costs me a day at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed with Bella's new trick, and your ability to train her. I would love to do this with our two cats, but we are not home during the day to give a reward for a job well done. Do you think they can still be trained, even if no one is around for eight hours during the day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! I would love to train our cat to do that...Or at the very least, to scoop his own litter box. ;)

    ReplyDelete