Monday, January 28, 2008

Crack is Bad For You

The Evil Twin and I worked it out so I could still go to my docs office. He came home from work and stayed with Sissy, waiting for the plumber. After my appt, I grabbed lunch on the way home. The plumber had called at about noon and said he'd be here within the hour - and he was. The Evil Twin was juuuust getting ready to go back to work, but I'm glad he was here to explain the problem to the plumber.

Home maintenance, IMO, is the husband's job and if he can't do it, then he needs to call someone to do it and relay the necessary information to said person. I'll write the check when the work is done. That's about as much involvement as I can take.

Sooo, the plumber wraps things up just in time for me to go pick up Buddy from school, but he has to deliver some bad news first. Apparently, we are no longer able to use our disposall. WTF?? He said in older homes with concrete foundations, the pipes run under that and once they start getting backed up with gunk - short of jackhammering up my floor and replacing the pipes, I just probably shouldn't use the disposer ever again.

Come on! I have never lived in a house without a disposer (or dishwasher, for that matter). A girl needs her conveniences.

The Evil Twin and I plan to get a second opinion on this most poopy proclamation. Sheesh - what's next? I'm wringing out clothes to hang on a line? I don't think so.

I WILL have a disposer - or something!

Now on to happier thoughts. I've been honored with not one, but TWO awards this week, kids! I might even have to dig up that picture of me doing my victory dance in my back yard.

The first award is from Crystal at Backyard Academy. She's a homeschoolin' mama who is a knitting fan, crafty in other ways as well and always has something interesting to say. She presented me with the:




Then, Carolyn from The Ginger Quill bestowed uponeth me the:



The Excellent Blogger Award. Super cool. Carolyn is a super sweet WV gal who loves her animal babies and often has them starring in little vignettes on her blog. Always good for a laugh.

Visit my friends and have a laugh. I'm supposed to tag 10 others with the awards as well, but I'll save that one for tomorrow. (notice: cliffhanger ending to keep you coming back - yea baby, I've watched my fair share of soap operas).

12 comments:

  1. I would for sure get the 2nd opinion. We have a septic system and were told to never get a disposal. Well, gee Gomer they make special ones for just those systems. I'd like to see that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the awards - well deserved! I'd get a second opinion too. You might be able to get a new one installed with pipes that don't go through concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like that plumber just didn't want to mess with stuff. Call someone else before you start mourning your disposal.

    Congratulations on the awards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best friend has one and she's on well water and a septic tank. WTH?
    Ours went out the other day. I totally wasn't planning on shelling out $100.00 on a new one but man... I'm with you, that's one thing I don't want to do without!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI! Just stopped by to check out your EXCELLENT Awarded blog (and because Carolyn said to) And tell 'em Carolyn says "hey!" ;)
    ~ jb///

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely get a second opinion. I'd go with RotoRooter for that. My neighbors had some serious clog issues and there were able to use their gunk cam to follow the line out under the street where roots from city landscaping trees were mucking up the works, so city had to fix and pay. Besides. You know you're dying to see the gunk cam in action.

    Yay for you! Two awards in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the award! And get a second opinion on the plumbing thing. You would think someone would be able to run a snake in your pipes... did that sound a little dirty? hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  8. EXCELLENT BLOG!
    Congrats!
    Eddie Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two awards- cool! Congrats on the other one :)

    Man, after hubby worked on ours Sunday, it finally became clog free, but I'm still scared to run the dishwasher while he's away this week just in case... And our lines run down under the concrete garage floor... ugh!

    Can you call the city and have them check the street pipe out front? It might be on their end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is why I wil always, always, always have a crawl space - I am TERRIFIED of the idea of having to jackhammer up floors for anything.

    That said - I agree with everyone else - get a second opinion, because this totally does NOT sound like something that should be jackhammer worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh please - rent a jackhammer and go to TOWN! ;)

    But first, please use the gunk cam. And post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our house is on a slab - no basement in sight - so every plumbing effort is a nightmare. No disposal here. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete