Friday, February 17, 2012

The Chocolate Debacle

For Valentine's Day, I had purchased each child a valentine's box with chocolates. Because I am "The Good Mom ™" There were maybe 7 or 8 candies - nothing extravagant.

I gave them their boxes and left it to them. Sissy opened hers and chose a piece. By this time, I was in the kitchen, standing near the fridge.

She approached me with a look of disgust on her face and her right arm extended. She shook her hand around and I could see it was an orange cream chocolate.


In a most exasperated voice, she said "Really? REALLY?" like somehow the gods of chocolate making had duped her in some way and she wasn't having any of it.

I shrugged and pointed at the trash can. Later, I said, "Candy makers like to add at least one nasty chocolate per box. It's just the way they roll." And, I'm thinking, "Those damn chocolate makers are giddy with excitement picturing the faces of the poor child (or adult, for that matter) who bites into the vile orange cream candy."

Please, chocolate candy makers, leave those gross orange ones, the raspberry goo ones, basically any fruit flavored out of the mix. We all know that once a food item contains fruit, it is no longer a treat or dessert, it becomes a semi-healthy alternative to a treat.

What's next? Chocolate covered peas??? I vow to only purchase the boxes with a "road map" inside from now on. At least that way, you can avert evil and maybe give those away to a friend who likes them. Yuck!

Have a great Friday, hooligans!

Love,

5 comments:

  1. I'm good with the fruit flavors, but there is a special place in hell for those who defile chocolate with nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My faves are the fruit flavoured cream ones. But agree with LJL about nuts in chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'll be sending my fruity chocolates to LJL and Jake and they can send me the nutty ones. MMMMkay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sign me up for the nutty chocolate and hold the fruit please... the "roadmap" chocolates are the best ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is my moneymaking idea of the week: They should sell boxes of chocolate filled with known candy bar flavors. Example, I'd buy a heart shaped box of chocolates filled with Milky Way or Twix chunks and not be worried that I was going to bite into some unexpected fruit filling.

    The down side of this is, after I gave said box of candy to my wife, I would steal all the candy before she could get to it. Perhaps, that is why they put the ugly fruit types in there - so the giver won't be tempted to steal from the givee.

    ReplyDelete