Monday, July 9, 2012

In The Dark

Since Friday, June 30th - about 7:30pm - until Friday, July 6 around 4:30pm, we didn't have any power in the house. We had some big storms roll through the area which left about 500,000 people without electricity. Some people are STILL without power.

It stunk big time. We did the best we could. Almost all the restaurants lost power, grocery stores, gas stations and NO ONE had any ice.

Since we had no power, we had no way to charge our cell phones and no access to internet service. The Evil Twin was able to charge our phones in his car on his way in and out of work, so when mine did have a charge, I would try to check the news channels and let people what was going on and why they couldn't reach me.

Of course, this had to happen on some of the hottest days we've had this year. It didn't take long for the house to become sauna-like. Luckily, we had our lower level, which is mostly underground and stays cool year-round.

Unfortunately, by day 3, we had to toss out everything from the freezer and fridge. I had been shopping not long before and most of the food we tossed hadn't even been opened yet.

The Evil Twin had arranged to take the Thursday and Friday after July 4th off work, so he could enjoy a long weekend. However, since we didn't have power, AC, food, etc., he decided to just go in those 2 days and take this week off instead.

I am not even going to jinx us by saying anything more about the power. Maybe just to say I was born in the right time period. There is no way I could live like that every day. We did have water (some people didn't) and our water tank is gas heated, so at least we got decent showers. I just couldn't use my hair dryer, which resulted in some interesting ponytail looks.

I missed you guys and my internets a whole bunch and I hope you missed me too. I didn't fall off the face of the earth, just had to live like a pioneer woman for a few days. LOL.

Hope all my hooligans have a great Monday! (with electricity):-)

Love,

4 comments:

  1. LOL.. glad you are back from the stone age. Really make you appreciate some of the things we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was driving from Allentown, PA to Chincoteague, VA late, late, late Friday night - like 1am late. We drove through a very strong storm front with LOTS of wind, a little bit of rain and one of the more impressive lightning displays I've seen in the last (mumble mumble) years. I was kind of pissed that I had to drive (I was following someone to their cottage) because I wanted to stop and watch!
    We heard later that WV, VA & MD got whacked pretty bad - so sorry that y'all had to bear the brunt of it. Glad you made it through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you all fared well! My Grandfather just got power yesterday. Mom and Dad were lucky and got it back last Tuesday. I don't think my Mom enjoyed Pioneering any more than you did. She about cried when they threw all the food out.

    Hope you are enjoying the AC and the hair dryer with a new enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you guys are okay. The storms that rolled through were SCARY.

    ReplyDelete